Business Systems Analyst
The business systems analyst collects and analyzes business and nonfunctional requirements and creates specifications. He or she validates requirements against business needs. He/she performs systems testing to validate high-level functionality of the solutions. It is important for the business analyst to build subject matter expertise in customer's field and develops productive relationships with customers, as well as using knowledge of the organization's security standards to adhere to all MassDOT security standards and directives.
DETAILED STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Solicits and identifies vision objectives and requirements for change
- With the support of the business, define rules, validations, decision points for all the steps in a process
- Analyzes business and financial data and how the values relate to the business process
- Identifies gaps during the business requirements phase
- Establishes new requirements and functional specifications, screen mock-ups, , error messages, rules, and security requirements
- Develops User Stories, Use Cases, UML diagrams - "Happy Path” and "Alternative Path”
- Defines report specifications
- Documents detailed business and nonfunctional requirements in a traceable, testable, verifiable format, including business requirements documentation, functional specifications, workflows, use cases, business rules, process flows, data flows, test cases, and training materials.
- Document business requirements and functional specifications in a clear, concise manner. Develop and execute system test plans
- Articulate impact of change to other Departments
- Alert Project Manager of scope creep that may impact the project
- Identifies work breakdown structures for required tasks to reach milestones: e.g., problem analysis; requirements definition; business case formulation; project scoping and definition and finally translating all that into a set of solution options and sound technical requirements.
- Conducts requirements gathering by leveraging meetings, such as interviews, requirements workshops, use cases, and scenarios.
- Provides recommendations and specifications to refine business processes, as needed, to achieve a positive impact.
- Supports Development test strategy definition, test requirements definition, development of test scenarios, and execution of functional test phases.
- Contributes to Continuous Improvement initiatives across the enterprise.
- Participates in the definition of data analysis requirements and data storage
- Applies expertise and understanding of data warehouse, data mart policies to the results of the data collected
- Assists in defining the scope, time frame and display/ format of the data analytics
- Participates in defining the executive data metrics and dashboard reporting requirements
- Perform due diligence & quality assurance on services being provided by the Security team to ensure adherence to process and consistency of output for operational standards using the IT Security checklist to ensure security controls are used.
- Assumes team lead role as required on projects or in support of a business unit.
- Create and execute system test plans.
- Work within an agile scrum and/or waterfall methodology for project implementations.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE
- BA/BS degree in Business, Computer Science, or related field.
- Eight or more years of direct work experience as a Business Systems Analyst.
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong listening skills
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to easily work with all people regardless of role/title
- Ability to think and question people across the organization to minimize requirement gaps
- Ability to help bring people together to a common understanding and agreement
- Ability to accept constructive criticism
- Ability to work in an agile-like environment
- Technical background
- Subject matter or domain experience working in related industries (Construction Systems) is a plus.
- Understanding of data analytics for construction projects
- Dashboard creation
- Experience with the Commonwealth asset management, inspection, or other data collection and inspection systems is a plus
- Demonstrated track record of success with IT projects that meet business requirements and customer expectations.
- Experience with business process modeling. Experience with prototyping and Business Process Modeling tools is a plus.
- Experience with packaged product solutions as well as custom built.
- Proficient at problem identification and resolution, and defining and managing business requirements.
- Experience in producing various work products throughout the analysis and design phases of a project.
- Ability and motivation to learn.
- Ability to define, manage, and exceed business customer expectations.
- Strong intellectual curiosity and capacity for professional growth.
- Ability to effectively communicate (both orally and in writing) with various project stakeholders, including IT leadership, business customers, team members, and other IT colleagues.
- Strong meeting management and negotiation skills.
- Experience with agile scrum and waterfall methodologies.